What to do with stuff

An item reused or recycled is one less item in the trash. Go to Recyclepower.org for places in Douglas County to recycle.

Other options for disposing of items:

  • sell it yourself
  • have someone else sell it for you
  • donate it to a charity
  • recycle it
  • give it away or dump it

List phone number on the Do Not Call Registry

You can register your phone number (including your cell phone number) for free; it will remain on the national do-not-call list for five years. Phone numbers can be removed from the list at any time.

The Do-Not-Call registry does not prevent all unwanted calls. It does not cover:

  • calls from organizations with which you have established a business relationship
  • calls for which you have given prior written permission
  • calls which are not commercial or do not include unsolicited advertisements
  • calls by or on behalf of tax-exempt non-profit organizations

To register by phone call 1-888-392-1222. For TTY, call 1-866-290-4236.  You must call from the phone you wish to register.  You may also register by Internet – www.donotcall.gov.

Remove name from mailing lists

Reduce the amount of junk mail you receive by writing and ask your name be eliminated from mailing lists.  Be sure to include the following information:

  • Full name and any variation that may be used
  • The date
  • Mailing address
  • Signature
  • The following statement: “Please remove my name and address from your mailing list”

Register for the Mail Preference Service by mail. Send a letter plus a $2 check or money order to:

Mail Preference Service
Direct Marketing Association
PO Box 643
Carmel, NY 10512

Register Online at DMAchoice.org

When you register, your name and address are placed in a "do not mail" file which is updated monthly. DMA members are required to update their lists at least quarterly, and some do it monthly. Businesses who are not members of the DMA may also take advantage of this "do not mail" list, so registering with the DMA will reduce mail.

Register online. You may also sign up online at the DMA's website. There is no fee for online registration.

Stop receiving credit card offers

To stop receiving credit card offers in the mail: Call 888-5 OPT OUT (1-888-567-8688)
One call reaches these credit agencies: Equifax, Trans Union, Experian, and Innovis

Reduce unwanted catalog mailings

To stop receiving unwanted catalog mailings:
Send full name, including middle initial, and your current address to:

P.O. Box 1478
Broomfield, CO 80038

Or e-mail your information to:

Or call and say "Please remove my name from any and all mailing lists."

Receive free annual credit report

Go to:

Report Identity Theft

To report Identity Theft:

Call the Federal Trade Commission at 1-877-ID THEFT (1-877-438-4338)

Or write them at:
ID Theft Clearinghouse, FTC
600 Pennsylvania Ave NW
Washington, DC  20580

Or access their website at www.consumer.gov/idtheft

Or Call the Social Security Fraud Hotline at 1-800-269-0271

Or access their website at www.ssa.gov

Call each of the three credit bureaus listed below and request a “fraud alert” be placed on your account.

Credit Bureau

To obtain a Credit Report

To Report Fraud


Call: 1-800-685-1111
Write: PO Box 740241
Atlanta, GA 30374-0241

Call: 1-800-525-6285
AND Write: address at left


Call: 1-888-EXPERIAN
Write: PO Box 2104
Allen, TX 19022

Call: 1-888-397-3742
Or Write: address at left


Call: 1-800-916-8800
Write: PO Box 1000
Chester, PA 19022

Call: 1-800-680-7289
AND Write:
Fraud Victims Asst Div
PO Box 6790
Fullerton, CA 92634

Documents to be shredded or burned

  • Junk mail and old papers that list your social security number, birth date, signature, account numbers, passwords or PINS.
  • Deposit slips and ATM and credit card receipts immediately after you get your monthly statements.  Shred old ID cards such as expired ID’s, insurance cards and passports.
  • Paycheck stubs at the end of the year after you have received your W-2 or other tax forms.
  • Monthly retirement and investment statements after you get the annual statement for the year.
  • DO NOT ever dispose original Social Security cards, birth certificates, mortgage paperwork, deeds or wills.

Keeping Guidelines

*The listings below are recommendations only.  Always confirm with your tax consultant or legal advisor before destroying documents.

Go to www.IRS.gov for more information.

Type of Record

Length of time to keep

Tax Returns / Records for tax deductions taken / Canceled checks / receipts

Seven Years

IRA Contributions


Retirement / savings plan statements

From one year to permanently

Bank Records

From one year to permanently

Brokerage Statements

Until you sell the securities


From one year to permanently

Credit card receipts and statements

From 45 days to seven years

Paycheck Stubs

One year

House Records

From six years to permanently

Are permanent records really kept forever?

Not always.  Permanent records are permanent only for the person or asset concerned, but may not be relevant after the person or asset has expired.  In some cases, permanent records for a person may be kept with family heirs forever.  Permanent records for an asset are filed with taxes when sold or passed to a new owner.  When the asset eventually expires, in practice, the file should be removed to check warranty information, replacement costs, or to make an insurance claim in the case of damage or theft. 


Call or email today for a consultation!
541 643-9463

facebook        Linked In

Bonded & Insured

MasterCard and Visa Acepted